Yoko Kamio is a mangaka (manga artist) best known for creating the shojo series, Boys Over Flowers in 1992. She has written and illustrated over seven series, such as Cat Street and Crown of Thorns, and several short stories, including "End of the Century" and "Night of the Crescent Moon". Kamio's most recent work is Boys Over Flowers Season 2, which was published online on Shonen Jump+.
Kamio penned several short stories and one series before Boys Over Flowers, including the five-volume Mary-san no Hijitsu in 1991. She followed her romantic-comedy Boys Over Flowers with the serious drama, Cat Street in 2004. Kamio is also the author of Matsuri Special, Tora to Okami, and Crown of Thorns.
Before she graduated from college, Yoko Kamio debuted in 1986 with the short story, "I'll Remain 20 While I Wait for You" or "Waiting Until 20" (
|Sayonara o Arigato||July 1989||408849539X||
|Ano Hi ni Aitai||October 1989||4088495764||
|Suki Suki Daisuki||September 1990||4088496868||
Mary-san no Hijitsu
Kamio began serializing her first series around 1991. The series, Mary-san no Hijitsu (
Boys Over Flowers
- Main article: Boys Over Flowers
In 1992, Yoko Kamio began publishing her hit manga Boys Over Flowers in the March issue of Margaret. The series centers around pauper, Tsukushi Makino at the prestigious Eitoku Academy. The school is controlled by four boys, Tsukasa Domyoji, Rui Hanazawa, Sojiro Nishikado, and Akira Mimasaka, known as the F4. Tsukushi stands up to the clique's leader, Tsukasa, who falls in love with her. The story ran for two-hundred and forty-one chapters, ending in 2003. Kamio has followed up with the series with a number of one-shots.
It won the 41st Shogakukan Manga Award for the shojo category in 1996. The series is currently the best-selling shojo manga of all time, having sold over 53 million copies with a total of 61 million copies in circulation. Boys Over Flowers has also become one of the top-selling media franchises in Japan.
Kamio followed Boys Over Flowers with Cat Street (
Kamio followed up the series in August 2008 with a side story titled, "It's Not the End of the World - Another Cat Street" (
Matsuri Special (
|1||June 4, 2008||408874599X||
|2||November 4, 2008||4088745396||
|3||June 4, 2009||4088746570||
|4||November 4, 2009||4088747550||
Tora to Okami
Tora to Okami (
Crown of Thorns
- Main article: Crown of Thorns
Kamio began her manga, Crown of Thorns (Ibara no Kanmuri) in the May 2013 issue of Bessatsu Margaret. The manga ended a year later in the April 2014 issue. The story follows Nobara Fukami, who has the ability to see strange things. One day, a man approaches her claiming to be a devil.
Boys Over Flowers Season 2
- Main article: Boys Over Flowers Season 2
Yoko Kamio launched her sequel to Boys Over Flowers, titled Boys Over Flowers Season 2 (Hana Nochi Hare), on February 15, 2015 on the online publication Shonen Jump+. The series was released biweekly on Sundays. It was also her first manga to be published simultaneously in Japan and America. Kamio concluded the series in December 2019, collecting it into fifteen volumes.
The story centers around Oto Edogawa as she tries to avoid being kicked out of Eitoku Academy for being a "peasant." Her life becomes entangled with Correct 5 leader Haruto Kaguragi, whom falls in love with her.
List of one-shots
- "I'll Remain 20 While I Wait for You" (The Margaret No.19 - 1986)
- "Ame no Naka no Kimihe..." (Margaret No.25 - 1987)
- "Koishikute... Gonenme" (Margaret No.43 - 1987)
- "AM 8:02 no Shinwa" (Margaret No.7 - 1988)
- "Sayonara o Arigato" (Margaret No.11-14 - 1988)
- "Ano Hi ni Aitai" (Margaret No.1 - 1989)
- "Nemu Renai Haru" (Matgaret No.10 - 1989)
- "End of the Century" (Margaret No.3-4 - January 1992)
- "Story of an Encounter" (Margaret No.19 - September 2000)
- "Night of the Crescent Moon" (Margaret No.1 - December 2003)
- Chapter 242 (Margaret No.15 - July 2006)
- "Shall I Talk About Myself? Part 1" (Margaret No.3-4 - January 2008)
- "Shall I Talk About Myself? Part 2" (Margaret No.5 - February 2008)
- Cat Street extra (Bessatsu Margaret No.5 - April 2008)
- "It's Not the End of the World - Another Cat Street" (Bessatsu Margaret No.9 - August 2008)
- "Matsuri Special SP" (Deluxe Margaret - July 2009)
- "Tora to Okami" (Bessatsu Margaret No.12 - December 2009)
- "Ringo Banana Gyunyu" (Margaret No.2 - December 2013)
- Boys Over Flowers special (Margaret No.9 - April 2018)
- Hana Yori Dango: Romantic Story (1994-1998; 15 novels)
- Hana Yori Dango: Yoko Kamio Illustrations (March 1995)
- Hana Yori Dango FF (October 2003)
- Cat Street (August 2008)
- Cat Street: Rakuen Kara no Tabidachi (September 2008)
- Hana Yori Dango Step Up English Book (July 2010)
- Hana Nochi Hare: Novelize (May 2018)
- Meteor Garden Photo Album (March 2005)
- Hana Yori Dango Final: Photo Book (June 2008)
- Boys Over Flowers Official Photo Book (April 2009)