Shingo Oribe (
His father had an affair which resulted in his younger brother Junpei being born. Shingo's mother and father adopted Junpei when he was three. The two were close as young children and found out in late elementary school that they were not full brothers.
In his second year of high school, Shingo went to a gathering with his former middle school friends. He mentioned to Tsukushi that his brother was attending Eitoku Academy and that he had told him "that [she] had kind of a rough time [there]." Shingo was then attacked by a stranger and rendered unconscious. His friends helped him back home. He had little memory of what happened. The next day, Shingo was resting in bed when Tsukushi visited him. He was happy to see her and reminisced about confessing his feelings to her during middle school. He then revealed that he had a girlfriend, whom reminded him of Tsukushi. Junpei barged into the room shortly. Shingo introduced him to Tsukushi and commented "We don't look alike, do we?" After talking for a bit more, Tsukushi headed out.
Shingo had a normal appearance with overall likable features. He often pointed out that he did not look like his brother, though there was a familial resemblance. In middle school, Shingo pretty much looked the same, even styling his hair in a similar fashion. His clothes were typically comfortable, casual clothing.
Personality and traits
He was generally a happy, easy-going person. For example, Shingo did not seem to be bothered about being attacked. He was sad about Tsukushi never answering his confession, though he did raise a fuss about it. Shingo instead focused on the present. His personality also made him popular as he had many friends. Junpei hinted that he had a strained relationship with Shingo, whom thought it "ridiculous" for him to go after Tsukushi instead of a model.
Behind the scenes
- Shingo first appears in chapter eight-three of Boys Over Flowers.
- He does not appear in Meteor Garden (2001), but Si (Tsukasa) attacks Xiao Shun (Junpei) in the same way that Tsukasa hurt Shingo in the manga.
- Similar to the anime, he takes the place of Junpei's friend in Hana Yori Dango: The Musical (2016). Junpei targets Tsukasa in order to get revenge for his brother whom he injured.
- In the Boys Over Flowers anime (1997), he only appears in two flashbacks, being voiced by Hitoshi Honma in one. He has no connection to Tsukushi nor is he mentioned by name. Instead he takes the place of Junpei's friend who was hurt by Tsukasa in the manga. In "Tsukasa Won't Come...?," Junpei mentions his brother "changed" after the incident with Tsukasa. Junpei gets revenge for his brother by hurting Tsukasa. He also mentions that his brother is going to school in Kobe.
- He is portrayed by an unknown actor in the first episode of Hana Yori Dango Returns. In this version, he has little connection to Tsukushi besides being a former classmate. Junpei is his cousin, instead of his brother.
- Jin Hao Chen plays Shingo, renamed Yan Zhi Bu, in Meteor Garden (2018). In this version, it is not explicitly stated that he has a crush Shan Cai (Tsukushi) only implied. Yan Shun Ping (Junpei) is also his step-brother instead of his half-brother.
|Boys Over Flowers|
|Boys Over Flowers (anime)|
|(Flashback only)||(Flashback only)|
|Boys Over Flowers (anime) characters|