Meteor Garden II (Chinese: 流星花園II; pinyin: Liúxīng Huāyuán II) is a sequel to the hit Taiwanese drama, Meteor Garden. Unlike the first series, the sequel is an original story and is not based on the manga, Boys Over Flowers by Yoko Kamio. It was produced by Angie Chai. The series aired on CTS in 2002 for thirty-one episodes.
After Meteor Garden's premiere in 2001, Jerry Yan, Vic Chou, Ken Chu, and Vanness Wu formed the Mandopop group F4, and performed the two theme songs of the sequel. Meteor Garden II starred returning actors Barbie Hsu, Yan, Chou, Chu, and Wu with new addition Michelle Saram. Several new supporting actors were added to the cast as well.
Cast and characters
- Original work: Boys Over Flowers by Yoko Kamio
- Producers: Angie Chai
- Screenplay: Angie Chai, Sharon Mao, Mag Hsu, Zhou Ping Zhi
- Directors: Wang Ming Tai, Jiang Feng Hong, Mai Da Jie, Zheng De Hua
- Editing: Yang Shi Fan, Zheng Ya Yun, Cai Jia Han
- Planning: Yang Jia Yu
- Cinematographer: Lai Jun Hong
- Overseas supervision: Yan Li Xue
- Sound effects: Carrie Recording Workshop
- Post-production: Long Jia Li
- Wardrobe: Zhang Wei Jie, Zhong Feng Lan
- Main article: Meteor Garden II/Episodes
27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31
ProductionMeteor Garden II was produced by Angie Chai, the original producer behind Meteor Garden (2001). The principal actors of the previous series returned to star, and Singaporean actress Michelle Saram joined the main cast. Shooting for Meteor Garden II commenced in April 2002. In July, the cast and crew completed filming in Spain. Production experienced several delays due to changing directors and the hectic schedule of F4. Filming was suspended again in September 2002, when Barbie Hsu's and several others contracts expired.
Meteor Garden II premiered on November 11, 2002. It was immediately met with a negative response from fans, who thought it was "bad" compared to the original manga. Saram's character Ye Sha was a particular bone of contention among audiences. The sequel's ratings were significantly lower than those of Meteor Garden. Due to the audience reaction, Chai prepared two separate endings for the show.
Meteor Garden II was broadcast on weekdays at 8 PM on CTS. It aired Monday to Friday from November 11 to November 15, 2002, before switching to a Monday to Thursday schedule. Then it aired again from Monday to Friday, starting on December 2. Meteor Garden II concluded its thirty-one episode run on December 25.
|February 12, 2008||
- Main article: Meteor Garden II Original Soundtrack
"Jue Bu Neng Shi Qu Ni" ("Can't Lose You"), performed by F4, served as the series opening theme. It was met with a warm response by viewers, who compared it to "Liu Xing Yu". F4's "Yan Huo De Ji Jie" ("Season of Fireworks") was the ending theme. Both songs were included on the soundtrack released on December 18, 2002.
Unlike its predecessor, Meteor Garden II had far lower ratings. Over a week into its initial run, the series was averaging 3% to 3.5%.
|Boys Over Flowers Wiki has a collection of images on this topic. (view gallery)|
- Meteor Garden II is an original story due to the manga still being published. However, Si's amnesia may have been at least partially inspired by a similar storyline in the manga at the time.
- Blackie Chen previously had a short cameo in the third episode of Meteor Garden.
|Meteor Garden series|
| Meteor Rain|