This television series is a loosely-based, unofficial and/or unlicensed adaptation of Boys Over Flowers. It not officially connected to the manga and should not be considered to be.
Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan (English: What Is This Friendship?), also spelled Kaisi Yeh Yaariyan and abbreviated by fans as KY2 or KYY, is an Indian teen soap created by Richa Yamini and Vikas Gupta for MTV India. The series was produced by BBC Worldwide India and Lost Boy Media Productions. It was loosely adapted from the Korean drama, Boys Over Flowers. The series premiered on July 21, 2014.
The second season began on August 31, 2015. Series star Parth Samthaan had confirmed his departure from the show before the premiere. He was replaced by Yuvraj Thakur, who later decided to leave the show, after Samthaan returned. Season two of Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan ended on December 31, 2015. A third season began on May 15, 2018 as a thirteen-part web series.
Niti Taylor stars as Nandini Murthy (Geum Jan-di/Tsukushi Makino counterpart), who attends a prestigious music college. She and her friend Navya (played by Vibha Anand) conflict frequently with the school's clique, the Fab 5. Overtime, the coupling of Manik Malhotra (Gu Jun-pyo/Tsukasa Domyoji) and Nandini, known as "MaNan", became one of the main focuses on the show.
Nandini Murthy (Niti Taylor) moves to Mumbai from Mangalore with her aunt, uncle and brother. Her brother, Rishabh, suffers from an unknown illness and does not speak as a result from an accident in the sibling's past. They hope to find him a cure in Mumbai. Meanwhile, S.P.A.C.E. Academy, a famous and prestigious music college in Mumbai, is ruled by the clique and band, the Fab 5. The members consists of Manik Maholtra (Parth Samthaan), Fab 5's leader and Alya's boyfriend; Fab 5's guitar player and Manik's best friend, Dhruv Vedant (Utkarsh Gupta); Cabir Dhawan (Ayaz Ahmed), a skirt-chaser and bully; Mukti Vardhan (Charlie Chauhan), a flirt, who enjoys playing games with others; and Alya Saxena (Krissann Barretto), Fab 5's princess and Manik's girlfriend.
The Fab 5, particularly Cabir and Mukti, enjoy bullying the other students at S.P.A.C.E. One of their victims, Shahid, attempts to jump off the roof of the school. Navya Naveli (Vibha Anand), a new girl from Bihar, and Nandini successfully save him from jumping. They receive scholarships from the school in order to avoid national scrutiny on the school's part. After this incident, the Fab 5's lives begin to intertwine with the two girls as they form relationships and friendships with each other.
Cast and characters
- An intelligent girl, who has just moved from Mangalore to Mumbai. Her parents perished in a accident involving a meteor in the United States. She helps save Shahid from suicide, earning a scholarship for S.P.A.C.E. Academy. She eventually falls for the Fab 5's leader, Manik. In season two, Nandini holds out hope to find out what happened to Manik at the end of season one. Her hopes are fulfilled, when Manik comes back to her and everything is cleared up.
- The tortured leader of the Fab 5. His best friend is Dhruv, whom he met on an unfortunate day, involving a meteor shower. He has a tattoo that appears to be inspired from the events. Manik's relationship with his mother, Nyonika appears strained. He plays electric guitar and sings in the band, and dates Alya at the beginning of the series. Manik falls for Nandini, though he pushes her towards Dhruv. Manik goes missing, after a car accident at the end of season one. He later returns and reunites with Nandini.
- The mysterious and aloof acoustic guitar player of the Fab 5. He has episodes on a certain day after an incident, involving a meteor shower. Dhruv met his best friend, Manik on that day, the only person who can handle him. He displays some interest in Nandini, and eventually falls in love with her. She rejects him and he finds comfort in Alya, whom he develops a crush on. Gupta left the show in early November 2015 to pursue other interests.
- A small-town girl from Bihar, whose dream is to be a part of the Fab Five. Navya along with Nandini saves a student from suicide and receives a full scholarship for S.P.A.C.E. Academy. She becomes good friends with Nandini and falls in love with Harshad Saxena. Despite warnings from friends, she stays with him, though she does exentually team up with the Fab 5 to send him to jail. She returns home to Bihar, but comes back after learning of her pregnancy.
Charlie Chauhan as Mukti Vardhan
- The sexually provocative member of the Fab 5, who enjoys a challenge. She and Cabir participate in most of the bullying at the beginning of the series. Her suggestive nature is revealed to be the result of past experiences. Mukti use to date Harshad Saxena, but dumped him when he cheated on her. She becomes dependent on anti-depressants and almost commits suicide. To get better, Mukti checks into a rehab facility. She falls in love with a cancer patient, Abhimanyu.
Ayaz Ahmed as Cabir Dhawan
- Introduced as the skirt-chaser drummer of the Fab 5. He enjoys bullying other students that have offended him or his friends, calling it "a game of life or death". He lives with his mother, after his parents divorce, his twin, Ranbir, stays with their father. Cabir is later revealed to be gay, and in a relationship with his teacher, Raghav. His mother does not accept his sexuality. Cabir is now thought to be dead, after a bomb was planted in Manik's car.
Krissann Barretto as Alya Saxena
- The beautiful princess of the Fab 5. She dated Manik for seven years, from seventh grade to the beginning of college. She becomes jealous once Manik begins to drift away, and sends some thugs to scare Nandini. He breaks up with Alya, though she still holds hope and tries to push Dhruv towards Nandini. Eventually, she becomes close friends with Dhruv and he helps her get her brother, Harshad, out of jail.
Yuvraj Thakur as Madhyam "Maddy" Singania
- A new student at S.P.A.C.E. He was Nandini's new love interest after Samthaan had decided to leave the show. He rescues Nandini after Nyonika attempts to kill her for a second time. Thakur exited the show shortly after Samthaan returned.
|Abhimanyu Thakkar||Zain Imam||Mukti's love interest|
|Aryaman Khurana||Karan Jotwani||Nandini's friend|
|Avinash Khurana||Micky Makhija|
|Cabir's mother||Rinku Karmarkar||Cabir and Ranbir's mother|
|Harshad Saxena||Abhishek Malik||Alya's brother|
|Kishori Murthy||Nandini's grandmother|
|Navya's mother||Neha Bam||Navya's supportive mother|
|Nyonika Malhotra||Kishwer Merchant||Kaede Domyoji||Kang Hee-soo||Manik's mother|
|Panditji||Dishank Arora||Music teacher|
|Raghav||Rushad Rana||Professor at S.P.A.C.E.|
|Rishabh Murthy||Steve||Susumu Makino||Geum Kang-san||Nandini's brother|
|Rose||Scarlett Rose||Cabir's girlfriend|
|Shahid||Pulkit Bangia||Kimoto||Lee Min-ha||Fab 5 victim|
|Shannoo Murthy||Ritu Vasishta||Chieko Makino||Na Gong-joo||Nandini's aunt|
|Soha Khurana||Jasmine Avasia||A crazy fan of Manik's|
|Sunny Sharma||Dhiraj Totlani||Works at S.P.A.C.E.|
|Trilok Chaurasya||Dishank Arora||A pandit and teacher|
|Venkatesh Murthy||Mehul Nissar||Haruo Makino||Geum Il-bong||Nandini's uncle|
|Shaan||Singer||Satarangi||Performed with singer, Gwen Athaide.|
|Sunny Leone||Actress||Splitsvilla season 8||Also promoted the #ItsNotUsItsYou campaign.|
|Actors||Mr. X||Played judges for the Fusion Music Concert.|
|Neeraj Gaba||Stylist||India's Next Top Model|||
|Gautam Gulati||Actor||MTV Big F|||
Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan is loosely-based on the Korean drama series, Boys Over Flowers, an adaptation of the Japanese manga by Yoko Kamio. The series was created by Richa Yamini and Vikas Gupta for MTV India. It was produced by BBC Worldwide India and Lost Boy Media Productions. The series was popular with it's target audience, particularly for the coupling of Manik Malhotra (played by Parth Samthaan) and Nandini (Niti Taylor), nicknamed "MaNan", which became one of the main focuses on the show.
Controversy arose when Parth Samthaan announced his departure from Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan, shortly before the premiere of season two. The creators tried to convince Samthaan to stay. One source reports that Samthaan did not contact the producers before announcing it on social media, calling his actions "unprofessional". Yuvraj Thakur replaced Samthaan as Nandini's love interest. Fans were somewhat displeased with the show without Manik (Samthaan), whose romance with Nandini (Taylor) was the main focal point of the show. Samthaan decided to return in late September 2015, after the channel and production house asked. Thakur left the show in early October, followed by Utkarsh Gupta in early November.
Now with only three members of the original Fab 5, since Ayaz Ahmed had left the previous season, some fans began to question whether the show should continue. In December 2015, the producers decided to end the show on New Years' Eve. In February 2018, Samthaan confirmed that he was filming season three of the series. Taylor also announced her return. It began airing on Viacom 18's video-on-demand platform Voot on May 15, 2018.
In December 2015, Samthaan met controversy when conversations from his group "Whores and Whoremones" on WhatsApp were leaked online. His Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan co-stars Utkarsh Gupta and Karan Jotwani were also added to the group. Samthaan has "claimed that he was framed or hacked into", while both Gupta and Jotwani confirmed the group was made by Samthaan.
Just a few days later, reports surfaced that Samthaan filed a complaint accusing Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan co-creator Vikas Gupta of molesting him. Samthaan also accused Gupta of non-payment of dues for working on his show on Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya and constant threats of ruining his career. In 2017, two sexual harassment cases were filed against Samthaan.
|Garv Indian TV Awards 2015|
|Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan & Fanaah||Best Youth/Supernatural Series||Won|
|BollyWood Life TV Awards 2015|
|Parth Samthaan||Hottest TV Actor||Won|
|14th Indian Telly Awards|
|Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan||Best Youth Show||Nominated|
- Like Siapa Takut Jatuh Cinta, Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan is not a licensed adaptation of Yoko Kamio's manga. Instead they took inspiration from one of the drama adaptations. In the case of Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan, the series borrows various character and plot elements from the Korean drama.
- Parth Samthaan, Utkarsh Gupta, Charlie Chauhan, Ayaz Ahmed, and Krissann Barretto made a special appearance on another MTV India series, Warrior High, playing their respective characters.
- Ayaz Ahmed (Cabir) also portrayed his character's twin, Ranbir on MTV India's Fanaah, which was created by Vikas Gupta (Kaisi Yeh Yaariaan 's co-creator). Yuvraj Thakur (Madhyam) also starred in the series.