|Looking for a different episode? Check our episode guide for a full list of episodes.|
- "For me to decide anything, is the same as shopping overseas. If I give up the chance to shop, and come back to Japan that means I can't get it anymore. I think that it's normal for humans to live and think to themselves, "Ah, if only I took the chance that one time." But for me that's one thing that I don't like. I don't want to live with regrets. I want to be myself, to live the way I want."
- —Shizuka decides to return to France
"Tears!! Goodbye to the person I like" (涙!!サヨナラ大好きなヒト Namida!! Sayonara daisukina hito) is the third episode of the Japanese drama, Hana Yori Dango. It first aired on November 4, 2005 on TBS in Japan. The episode marks the first appearance of Nanako Matsushima as Tsubaki Domyoji.
Rui Hanazawa's first love Shizuka Todo makes plans to go back to France. At the airport, Tsukushi Makino encourages Rui to go after her. Meanwhile, Tsukasa Domyoji's sister Tsubaki returns from Los Angeles.
After accidentally kissing Tsukasa Domyoji, Tsukushi Makino recalls the story to Yuki Matsuoka at work. Tsukushi is particularly upset that it happened in front of Rui Hanazawa, who she has a crush on. Their boss tells her that moment will "surely traumatize [her] for the rest of [her] life." Sojiro Nishikado and Akira Mimasaka tease Tsukasa about his first kiss, before they see Tsukushi walking home. She takes cover from the rain and overhears a conversation between Rui and Shizuka Todo. Shizuka tells him about her plans to return to France to pursue a career as an international lawyer.
At home, Tsukushi washes and irons Rui's handkerchief. She goes to the emergency exit to return it, but finds it empty. In the cafeteria, she learns that Sakurako Sanjo is absent from school. Tsukushi visits her at her house and reassures Sakurako that she will "always be on [her] side". Nevertheless, Sakurako is still not ready to return to school. Having skipped class, Tsukushi is rushing back, when Tsukasa stops his car in front of her. He offers to give her a ride, but she refuses. She runs away as Tsukasa chases after her. A stylish woman, who turns out to be his sister Tsubaki Domyoji, punches and kicks him. Tsubaki then takes Tsukushi back to school.
Tsubaki later tells Tsukasa to ask for advice about his "love problems" anytime. He starts to say something, but stops himself. The next day, Tsukushi approaches the emergency exit with Rui's handkerchief. She finds it empty again and screams "I want to see him", just as Rui opens the door. Rui tells her about Shizuka returning to France. Unknown to her and Rui, Tsukasa sees them talking and wordlessly walks away. That night, Rui takes Tsukushi to see Shizuka at her home. When Rui leaves the room, Tsukushi pleads to Shizuka for her to stay for "Rui's sake", which she refuses. Rui overhears and gets mad at Tsukushi.
At the airport, Tsukasa, Sojiro, and Akira say goodbye to Shizuka. Tsukushi arrives just in time to see her off. After Shizuka walks through the gate, they notice Rui, who arrived an hour earlier, but did not show his face to Shizuka. Tsukushi yells at him to "go after her", to which Rui says "I'm going too." Rui thanks Tsukushi and kisses her forehead. Despite having a fight a few days ago, Tsukasa becomes upset that Rui is leaving suddenly. The share a tearful goodbye, before Akira gives Tsukasa an apple. He promptly throws it Rui. Tsukushi and the F3 then watch Rui's plan take off. She quietly says "bye-bye" as Tsukasa loudly tells Rui to "take care".
After seeing Tsukasa's reaction to Rui leaving, Tsukushi reveals to Yuki that her view of him "changed a little bit." Okami-san starts telling them about a former lover, who looked "strong and ferocious" but was actually kind. Tsubaki later gives Tsukasa love advice, which he claims to understand "perfectly". At school, Tsukasa gives Tsukushi a time, date, and place. Confused, Tsukushi asks him what he meant, though he does little to clear it up. Tsukushi spends that Sunday hanging out with Yuki. When Yuki wins a "Tiger Mask" action figure, Tsukushi goes to see if Tsukasa is there.
Cast and characters
- Script: Satake Mikio
- Director: Osamu Katayama
- Stunt coordinator: Keiji Tsuji
|Video Research Ltd.||Source|
- Episode 3 primarily covers chapters nineteen through twenty-one and also incorporates elements from twelve, fourteen, seventeen, forty-two and forty-three
- This episode is the first to credit Satake Mikio as the screenwriter. He would go on to write the screenplays for several more Hana Yori Dango episodes, all eleven episodes of Hana Yori Dango Returns, and Hana Yori Dango Final.
- Sojiro uses the saying, "ichi-go ichi-e" (
一期一会lit. "Once in a lifetime") again, referring to Tsukasa coincidentally seeing Tsukushi walk by on the street.
- The phrase "senzai ichiguu" (
せんざいいちぐうlit. "golden opportunity") is used by Chieko Makino, while they are helping Susumu study. Alternatively, the phrase can mean "chance of a lifetime" or "a once in a lifetime chance".
- Tsubaki quotes "When you love you wish to do things for. You wish to sacrifice for. You wish to serve." from Ernest Hemingway's Farewell to Arms.
- Tsubaki also uses the phrase "isogaba maware" (
急がば 回れlit. "more haste, less speed"). Tsukasa later takes the quote literally and tries to slow himself by walking around the table, while asking Tsukushi out.
- Tsukasa uses the wrong kanji for Rui's name spelling Kazu (
数), instead of Rui ( 類).
- The running gag of Okami-san's former lovers continues with "Tiger Mask", a masked pro-wrestler. The name "Tiger Mask" originates from the 1968 manga, Tiger Mask. Later Yuki and Tsukushi win an action figure of "Tiger Mask", whose mask hides a soft face.
|Hana Yori Dango series|
|Episode 2||Episode 4|