- Note: this page is under construction and will go through drastic changes in order to give a more complete timeline of each series.
The manga, Boys Over Flowers, takes place in a semi-floating timeline. Over eleven years passed in the real world between the series' debut in 1992 and end in 2003, but only about a year and a half actually passed in the manga. The sequel series, Boys Over Flowers Season 2, is set two years after the original and nearly another two years pass in it. Also, the anime has a similar timeline to the manga. The television dramas, Meteor Garden (2001), Hana Yori Dango (2005), Boys Over Flowers (2009), and Meteor Garden (2018) are mostly all set during the years that they aired. Below are notes on the passage of time in the manga and its various adaptations:
- 1 Manga
- 2 Anime
- 3 Meteor Garden
- 4 Hana Yori Dango and Hana Nochi Hare
- 5 Boys Over Flowers
- 6 Meteor Garden (2018)
- Chapter 1 of Boys Over Flowers takes place in the spring when Tsukushi Makino is a second year high school student and the F4 are third years. The series takes place over a year, leading up to the F4's graduation the following spring in the final chapter.
- Chapter 242 takes place about a year about the final chapter. "Shall I Talk About Myself? Part 1" and "Part 2" is set shortly after 242 since Tsukushi is now in college.
- Boys Over Flowers Season 2 is set two years after the end of Boys Over Flowers. Haruto Kaguragi meeting Tsukasa Domyoji is the only event in Season 2 that overlaps with the original's timeline.
- Most of the ages listed below are sourced from the manga itself or Hana Yori Dango FF, or in the case of Season 2, the character profiles included in volume one. Some ages are guessed based on birthday and the amount of time that has passed.
- For Boys Over Flowers characters, their ages in Chapter 242 and Season 2 are only included if said character appeared in it.
- The birth years of Tsukushi and the F4 were included in Hana Yori Dango: Yoko Kamio Illustrations, while Shizuka's was revealed to be 1973 in chapter six. However, the years are no longer considered canon due to the series' floating timeline.
|Tsukushi Makino||16→17||18||20||December 28|
|Tsukasa Domyoji||17→18||19||21||January 31|
|Rui Hanazawa||17||18||20→21||March 30|
|Sojiro Nishikado||17→18||19||21||December 3|
|Akira Mimasaka||17→18||19||21||February 28|
|Shizuka Todo||19→20||21||October 4|
|Oto Edogawa||17||December 15|
|Haruto Kaguragi||17→18||August 5|
|Airi Maya||16||March 14|
|Issa Narumiya||17||September 8|
|Kaito Taira||17||April 23|
|Sugimaru Eibi||17||November 17|
|60 years prior to Year 2||Tama begins working at the Domyoji Mansion.|||
|11 years prior to Year 1||The F4 become friends in kindergarten; also meet Shizuka Todo.|||
|10 years prior to Year 1||Tsukasa Domyoji traumatizes Sakurako Sanjo by calling her "ugly"; she later moves to Germany after her parents' passing.|||
|6 years prior to Year 1||Tsubaki Domyoji wins Teen of Japan on Christmas Eve.|||
|3 years prior to Year 1||Shizuka wins Teen of Japan on Christmas Eve.|||
|Tsubaki marries her husband and moves to Beverly Hills.|||
|1 year prior to Year 1||Tsukushi Makino starts attending Eitoku Academy.|
|April||Year 1||Tsukushi interacts with the F4 for the first time.|||
|Summer||Tsukushi, Kazuya Aoike, and the F4 go on vacation in Atami.|||
|September||1||The start of Eitoku Academy's fall term.|||
|October||4||Shizuka turns 20, renounces her family name.|||
|Rui Hanazawa follows Shizuka to France.|||
|Fall||Sakurako attempts to get revenge on Tsukasa by using Tsukushi.|||
|Rui returns to Japan.|||
|Tsukasa leaves for New York and returns three days later.|||
|December||Tsukushi begins training for Teen of Japan for a span of two weeks.|||
|24||Tsukushi competes against Ayano Kurimaki in Teen of Japan.|||
|25||Tsukushi and Tsukasa go on a "date" for Christmas.|||
|27||Tsukushi and Yuki Matsuoka go on a trip to Canada with the F4.|||
|31||Still in Canada, Tsukushi celebrates the New Year with Tsukasa.|||
|January||Year 2||Tsukushi and Yuki visit a shrine after the 3rd of January.|||
|Tsukushi and Junpei Oribe appear in Treasures' February issue.|||
|Junpei uses Tsukushi to get revenge on Tsukasa.|||
|31||Tsukasa celebrates his eighteenth birthday.|||
|February||1||An engagement is arranged between Tsukasa and Shigeru Okawahara; it is called off about a week later.|||
|After her family moves away, Tsukushi starts working as a maid under Tama at Tsukasa's house.|||
|Tsukushi and Tsukasa start dating on a trial run.|||
|Tsukushi and Tsukasa go on a double date with Yuki and her boyfriend.|||
|Sojiro helps Yuki get revenge on her cheating boyfriend.|||
|Kaede returns to Japan; forces Tsukushi and Tsukasa apart by bankrupting her friends.|||
|Tsukushi reunites with her family in a fishing village.|||
|March||The F4 graduate and Tsukasa goes to study overseas in New York.|||
|March||Year 3||Shizuka marries; Tsukushi graduates and begins studying at Eitoku University.|||
|Season 2 backstory|
|11 years prior to Year 4||Haruto Kaguragi meets Airi Maya in kindergarten, but they do not become friends until the third grade.|||
|8 years prior to Year 4||Haruto and Airi befriend Kaito Taira, Sugimaru Eibi, Issa Narumiya.|||
|8 years prior to Year 4||Haruto and his friends meet Amei Hanawa, who eventually moves away due to an illness.|||
|2 years prior to Year 2||In middle school, Tsukasa protects Haruto Kaguragi from bullies and inspires him to become stronger.|||
|Year 2||Before Tsukasa leaves for New York, Haruto speaks to him again.|||
|Season 2 timeline|
|Spring||Year 4||Oto Edogawa interacts with the Correct 5 for the first time.|||
|August||5||Year 5||Haruto Kaguragi celebrates his eighteenth birthday.|||
- Much like the manga, there is no established year for the anime and thus the labels "Year 1" and "Year 2" are used for the table below.
- Several characters' ages are listed on the anime's official website, including Tsukushi as 16. Sakurako is listed as 17, which is incorrect since her age is revealed in "Sakurako's Secret" to be 16.
|13 years prior to Year 1||The F4 become friends while attending Eitoku Academy's kindergarten; they meet Shizuka Todo during this time.|||
|12 years prior to Year 1||Sakurako Sanjo is traumatized by Tsukasa Domyoji calling her "ugly"; a year later she moves to Germany.|||
|Spring||Year 1||Tsukushi Makino stands up to the F4 leader Tsukasa.|||
|Summer||Tsukushi goes on vacation to Atami with Kazuya Aoike.|||
|September||2||The fall term of Eitoku Academy begins.|||
|October||4||Shizuka celebrates her twentieth birthday and renounces her family name.|||
|Rui follows Shizuka to France; Tsukushi and Tsukasa get closer.|||
|Fall/Winter||Sakurako attempts to frame Tsukushi and seduce Tsukasa.|||
|Rui returns from France, leading to the F4 Showdown.|||
|December||Tsukushi and Yuki Matsuoka go to Canada with the F4.|||
|January||Year 2||Tsukushi appears on Treasures with Junpei Oribe.|||
|Tsukasa celebrates his eighteenth birthday.|||
|February||Kaede Domyoji arranges her son's engagement to Shigeru Okawahara.|||
|Tsukasa starts dating Shigeru; Shigeru befriends Tsukushi.|||
|Shigeru transfers to Eitoku, starting her plan to help Tsukushi and Tsukasa.|||
|Spring||Three months later, Tsukasa and Tsukushi are finally allowed to be together.|||
- A set year is not stated in Meteor Garden, though the series has been presumed to be set in 2001. Meteor Garden II takes place three years later in 2004.
- In the first episode, Dong Shan Cai and the other students are coming back from winter break, which could be the month-long break students get for Chinese New Year.
- The episodes of Meteor Rain take place before, during, and after Meteor Garden.
- Teng Tang Jing celebrates her twenty-fourth birthday. Xi Men states in an earlier episode that she is three years older than the F4, making them around 21.
- Shan Cai's age is listed as 22 on the official Meteor Garden II website, while the F4 are 24. Since the F4 are two years older, this makes Shan Cai around 19 at the time of the first Meteor Garden.
|Dong Shan Cai||19||22|||
|Dao Ming Si||21||24|||
|Hua Ze Lei||21||24|||
|Teng Tang Jing||23→24||27|||
|June||16||1980||Dao Ming Si is born.|||
|1982||Dong Shan Cai is born.|||
|Winter||2001||Dong Shan Cai comes back from winter break; she later stands up to Si.|||
|Spring||Teng Tang Jing returns from France; Chen Qing He transfers to Ying De Academy.|||
|April||Shan Cai and the F4 go on a cruise for spring break.|||
Hana Yori Dango and Hana Nochi Hare
- Hana Yori Dango takes place in 2005 during the exact time that the series originally aired. Likewise, Hana Yori Dango Returns is set during 2007, though the first episode also covers some of 2006.
- Despite being released in 2008, Hana Yori Dango Final is set during early 2011. Tsukushi's birthday is revealed to be December 28, 1988 and her age is 22. She is also slated to graduate college in March.
- Hana Nochi Hare is set in 2018. Haruto's and Tsukasa's meeting in the first episode takes place ten years earlier, sometime after Returns.
- All ages for Hana Yori Dango characters are sourced from the official website or the show itself. Some ages from Returns and Final are guessed based the first age given.
- For Hana Nochi Hare characters, only Oto's and Megumi's ages are revealed though it can be assumed that the C5 members are all either 16 or 17.
|January||1988||Tsukasa Domyoji is born.|||
|December||28||Tsukushi Makino is born.|||
|1999||Tsubaki Domyoji wins the Teen of Japan contest.|||
|2000||Shizuka Todo graduates from Eitoku Academy.|||
|June||2||2001||Megumi Nishidome is born.|||
|December||15||Oto Edogawa is born.|||
|April||2004||Tsukushi Makino begins attending Eitoku Academy.|
|October||2005||Tsukushi interacts with the F4 for the first time.|||
|30||A homecoming party for Shizuka is held at her home.|||
|November||Shizuka returns to France; Rui Hanazawa follows her.|||
|Tsukushi and Tsukasa go on their first "date."|||
|Rui returns to Japan; Tsukushi and Tsukasa go on a double date with Yuki Matsuoka and her boyfriend.|||
|December||23||Tsukushi competes in the Teen of Japan competition.|||
|24||Tsukushi and Tsukasa start dating; Tsukasa leaves to study in New York.|
|2006||Tsukasa causes Domyoji Group's stocks to fall as well as massive layoffs.|||
|February||14||Sojiro Nishikado stands up Sara Hinata on Valentine's Day.|||
|March||Rui, Sojiro, and Akira Mimasaka graduate from Eitoku.|||
|April||Tsukushi begins her third year at Eitoku.|
|December||Tsukushi goes to New York to see Tsukasa around Christmas.|
|January||2007||Tsukasa's 19th birthday; his mother announces his engagement to Shigeru Okawahara.|
|Tsukasa purchases the apartment complex Tsukushi is staying at.|||
|February||14||Tsukushi returns the Saturn necklace to Tsukasa on Valentine's Day.|||
|Sojiro sees Sara again.|||
|Tsukasa ends his engagement with Shigeru.|||
|March||3||Domyoji Group's failed merger with Okawahara Corp has a huge impact.|||
|19||News of Tsukushi and Tsukasa impending marriage are reported.|||
|Tsukushi graduates from Eitoku; Tsukasa proposes to her at prom.|||
|2008||Haruto Kaguragi encounters Tsukasa; he later forms the C5.|||
|January||20||2011||Tsukasa announces his upcoming wedding to the world.|||
|Spring||Tsukasa and Tsukushi are married.|||
|October||15||2016||Miyoko Hase passes away from cancer.|||
|April||2017||Oto begins her first year at Eitoku.|
|October||The Edogawa family goes bankrupt.|||
|April||2018||Oto's second year at Eitoku begins; she interacts with the C5 for the first time.|
|Airi Maya exposes Oto as a "commoner."|||
|Oto and Haruto become friends after a rocky start.|||
|May||Oto gains Airi's respect and the two become friends.|||
|Megumi transfers to Eitoku; Oto and Tenma begin officially dating.|||
|The C5 implement "peasant hunts" again, before Haruto officially abolishes it.|||
|June||2||Megumi's seventeenth birthday is held at Eitoku.|||
|7||Haruto and Tenma's decision to compete against eachother is announced.|||
|28||The competition begins; Haruto wins two days later on the 30th.|||
Boys Over Flowers
- Boys Over Flowers begins in late 2008, most likely November.
- Many of the main characters age are listed on the official website. Other ages are sourced from the show itself.
|December||21||1985||Min Seo-hyun is born.|||
|November||2008||Geum Jan-di is awarded a scholarship to Shinhwa School; she meets the F4.|||
|December||Jan-di goes on a vacation with Chu Ga-eul, instead of the school trip.|||
|21||Seo-hyun celebrates her twenty-third birthday.|||
Meteor Garden (2018)
- The first thirty-one episodes of Meteor Garden (2018) takes place during the 2017-2018 school year, while the rest of the episodes take place during the last half of 2018.
- Shan Cai states her age as 18 in episode one. Since her friends, Xiao You, Qing He, and Li Zhen, are freshman, they are also probably 18.
- The F4 are seniors, so they are most likely 21.
- Teng Tang Jing celebrates her 24th birthday in episode four, making her three years older than the F4.
|Dong Shan Cai||18|||
|Teng Tang Jing||23→24|||
|October||21||1993||Teng Tang Jing is born.|||
|September||2017||Shan Cai, Qing He, and Li Zhen begin their first year at Ming De University.|||
|Shan Cai bakes Li Zhen a cake for her birthday; it falls on Dao Ming Si.|||
|October||Shan Cai, Qing He, and the F4 spend the National Holiday in Sanya.|||
|21||Jing's twenty-fourth birthday; she also renounces her family name.|||
|Jing returns to France and Lei follows her.|||
|November||Lei returns to Shanghai; the F4 and Shan Cai go on a vacation.|||
|Dao Ming Zhuang comes to Shanghai to help sort out Si's relationship issues.|||
|December||Shan Cai enters the Chinese Cuisine Culinary Competition.|||
|Shan Cai and Si go on their second date with disastrous results.|||
|January||1||2018||Shan Cai and Jiang Xiao You celebrate the New Year with the F4 in Canada.|||
|31||Si celebrates his birthday.|
|February||Si and He Yuan Zi's parents arrange their engagement.|||
|June||The F4 graduate from Ming De University.|||