- "Hello! This is the 23rd volume! I'm glad to see you again. My allergy to the sun is acting up again. Have you all been well? My cats are both well. And heavy... As usual, they keep interrupting my work. I'd be very happy if you would enjoy yourself reading volume 23. Please stay with me to the last page!"
- —Yoko Kamio, 1999
Boys over Flowers 23 (
Tsukushi Makino and her family return to Tokyo with the help of Tsukasa Domyoji and Rui Hanazawa. At school, she feels awkward around Tsukasa and avoids him. Sakurako Sanjo later drags Tsukushi and the other girls on a group date. They meet Kiyonaga, who looks exactly like Tsukasa.
- "Although Tsukushi Makino is from a poor family, she attends an elite school for the super rich, where her life has become intertwined with the "F4," the ruling boys of the school, in a whirlwind of love and confusion!
Tsukushi ends her visit at her parents' quiet seaside home and returns to Tokyo. She is welcomed back with a "girls' night out" and ends up meeting a ton of guys! Unfortunately they all turn out to be losers. In fact, one of the boys turns out to be downright terrifying and bears a striking resemblance to a certain curly haired ex-boyfriend! Could they be related?!"
- —Viz description
Tsukasa Domyoji and Rui Hanazawa arrive at the fishing village and pay off the Makinos' debts. That evening, Matsutaro Yoshimatsu has a farewell party for Tsukushi on the beach. She feels awkward around Tsukasa, whom asks if she will return to Tokyo. Tsukushi replies "In time," leading him to angrily tell her how worried he was about her. He then pats her on the cheek, saying "Just come on back." Matsutaro thinks Tsukushi is getting "happy ending." However, she and Tsukasa both confirm "It's over between us." The next afternoon, the Makino family decide to leave the village after all. On their drive out, Tsukushi watches Matsutaro reunite with his girlfriend.
Tsukushi sleeps the entire way to Tokyo, where she is greeted warmly by her friends. After the guys depart, the girls go upstairs to Shigeru Okawahara's condominium. She gives the keys to Tsukushi, who refuses her offer at first. She is eventually worn down by Shigeru and accepts. That night, Shigeru, Sakurako Sanjo, and Yuki Matsuoka have a sleepover with Tsukushi. The next morning, Tsukushi wakes up determined to help her family. She heads to school, where she avoids Tsukasa. Sakurako invites her out after school, promising to help her find a well-paying job. After school, they meet with Shigeru and Yuki for a group date. Tsukushi opposes it, but remains when Sakurako mentions the job.
A guy on the date, named Kiyonaga, looks strikingly like Tsukasa. Tsukushi stares at him and becomes flustered when his friends ask if she has fallen for Kiyonaga. He starts smoking and she snatches it out of his mouth, resulting in him pouring water on her. The girls then promptly leave. Tsukushi is separated from her friends. Kiyonaga drags her into an alley and reveals that he is Tsukasa's cousin. Tsukushi is frightened by him and gets away from him as soon as she can. She meets Tsukasa, whom she mistakes for Kiyonaga for a moment. He invites her to tea, saying "I need to talk to you." They sit down at a nearby diner. Just as Tsukasa is going to say what he wanted, Tsukushi spots Kiyonaga outside the window.
Kiyonaga disappears when Tsukushi tries to point him out to Tsukasa. Though she insists that it was his cousin, he accuses her of making it up to avoid talking. Tsukasa leaves after she tells him that she met him on a group date. She chases after him. A hurt Tsukasa says "You two should get along well," causing her to cry. He then tells her "Even if you cry, there's nothing I can do for you." Finally, he informs her that she does not avoid him like she did earlier that day. Tsukushi returns the necklace he gave her, which Tsukasa throws in the river before leaving. She goes to retrieve it, ignoring the freezing water. Kiyonaga teases her from above, before going into the water and finding the necklace. Tsukushi then collapses.
- See also: Boys Over Flowers/Chapters
- Chapter 147: Tsukasa Domyoji arrives at the fishing village and pays off the Makinos' debts. The chapter was released in October 1998.
- Chapter 148: The Makino family decide to return to Tokyo. It was first published in Margaret No.23 on November 5, 1998.
- Chapter 149: Back in Tokyo, Shigeru Okawahara offers her family's condo to Tsukushi Makino. It was released in November 1998.
- Chapter 150: Tsukushi avoids seeing Tsukasa when she returns to Eitoku Academy. The chapter was released on December 5, 1998.
- Chapter 151: published on December 20, 1998. Tsukushi meets Tsukasa's look-alike Kiyonaga who claims to be his cousin.
- Chapter 152: After the group date, Tsukushi runs into Tsukasa who wants to talk. The chapter was released on January 5, 1999.
- Chapter 153: Tsukushi tells Tsukasa about Kiyonaga, but he thinks she is only trying to avoid talking. It was released in February 1999.
- Side-columns: After saying hello to the reader, Yoko Kamio talks about a nightmare, her work schedule, and a strange encounter she and her sister had while vacationing in France. In the final column, she reports that "Boys Over Flowers is heading into its last stretch."
- See also: Foreign editions of Boys Over Flowers
- France: The volume was published in French by Glénat on February 21, 2007.
- South Korea: Seoul Media Group released the volume on January 31, 2000 as 꽃보다 남자 23.
- Spain: It was released as No me lo digas con flores 23 by Planeta DeAgostini on April 5, 2007.
- Taiwan: Tong Li Comics published it as Meteor Garden 23 (流星花園23) on September 20, 1999.
- Vietnam: first released by TVM Comics and later re-released by Kim Dong on June 29, 2020.
- The illustration used for the cover was originally published as a two page spread for chapter one hundred and thirty-nine in Margaret on June 5, 1998.
|Boys Over Flowers|
- Boys Over Flowers, Volume 23 on Viz
- Boys Over Flowers, Volume 23 on Amazon
- Boys Over Flowers, Volume 23 on Comixology
- Boys Over Flowers, Volume 23 on S-Manga (Japanese)
|Volume 22||Volume 24|